COMPLEX OF VILLA MANOLESSO-FERRO
This complex is in Monigo, in the municipal area of Treviso, along the ancient Cal Trevisana inside a three-hectare park surrounded by a pebble and brick wall, and comprises the villa, barchessa and private chapel.
There are several entrances to the property: on the east side three elegant wrought iron gates, with fake ashlar pillars and stone baroque vases on the tops; to the west another gate and on the long sides of the property, parallel with the east façade, two avenues lead to two aedicules framed by square pilasters and trabeations, with a frescoed niche inside with scenes of 18th century garden life.
The complex was built around 1650 for the Maffetti family, as historic documents do not record it as having belonged to the Manolesso Ferro family. It was handed down to the various descendents until 1837 when, according to the Austrian land registers, it belonged to Giuseppe Scarpa. In 1935 it passed onto the I.R.E. in Venice and in 1978 was bought by the Nicoletti family. In 1825, the internal paintings and some of the exteriors were restored.
The main three-storey building has a gabled raised part in the centre of the two main façades. Above the ashlar entrance there is a balcony with balustrade with an arched triple-lancet window; in the top tympanum that was renovated in 1800, there are three rectangular windows with balconies. The side windows used to be arched but are now partly blocked and are surmounted by a refined cyma and short cornice.
The villa still has its original layout with the classic central passing hall and four rooms and the stairway to the sides. It has some lovely decorations: paintings, original Venetian pastel flooring on the piano noble, Sansovine ceilings and ashlar doors to the stairs. There some interesting, well-conserved baroque and 18th century frescoes in the transoms, around the fireplaces and on the walls with base bands, top cornices and painted monochromes and on the ceiling of the hall on the piano nobile, where there are three lacunars depicting mythological scenes.
The two-storey barchessa stands to the west of the villa, with an airy arcade; it used to be used as a hay barn and stables. At the east end of the property, along the road, there is the classic mid 1700 church, with a marble altar, a well made altarpiece and the tomb of Elisabetta Maffetti inside.
The complex is being prepared to hold events, art exhibitions and receptions in both the park and the barchessa arcade.
Open to the public
ADDRESS : Via Feltrina 101 , Treviso (TV)
To informations CONTACT the : 0422 22646 ; Fax : 0422 269714