The City Hall Theatre is dedicated to the famous tenor Mario Del Monaco, born in Florence, he adopted Treviso as his city. The theatre was built in 1869 and designed by the architect Andrea Scala. It preserves the original facade and it was placed in the same area where the city’s first theatre stood. It was requested by Count Onigo, and remained open from 1692 until October 2, 1868 when a fire destroyed it. It went through a major restoration funded by the Fondazione Cassamarca and was inaugurated in November 2003 with a concert by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. The restoration work was radical for its technical advancement: while it was able to keep the structure character and architecture, its acoustic sound has been improved, considered by experts state-of-the-art.