VILLA MOROSINI LUCHESCHI VALFORTE
The complex stands in the natural landscape of Colle Umberto in the province of Treviso, in the hamlet of Valforte.
When you pass through the entrance of the north barchessa, with the noble coat of arms above, you enter at the side of the master courtyard. There is a first garden in front of the villa, with some lovely stone furniture, which continues into the valley in front with a grassy avenue bordered by pine and cypress trees which create a very fascinating optical spyglass; to the rear there is a second Italian garden, which has a square fountain and enormous magnolia trees. In the north corner there is the 18th century church dedicated to Madonna di Serravalle.
The complex was built on the site of a previous country home and probably (although we are not certain) on the site of a 17th century monastery. Towards the end of the 18th century, the villa became the home of the Venetian Morosini family, who bought the property from the Sarmede family at the beginning of the century. It was later altered, probably by the architect Sebastiano De Boni and in the middle of the 19th century it was extended; finally in 1921 the property passed onto the Counts Lucheschi.
The complex was built with a C-layout, with the master house in the centre and the two barchessas at the sides. The villa is a two-storey block, not very deep, with just the central section on three storeys, which is the effective home. The long main façade is the same as the one to the north, and is classic in style: three rows of windows define the floors in line with the central section; above the entrance door there is a jutting circular balcony with an iron parapet that the arched window on the piano nobile opens onto, while a trabeation and central triangular pediment with the noble coat of arms crown the façade.
To the southeast is the first barchessa, which used to be the stables, with the large arches of the airy arcade with the large clock above dated 1857. The barchessa to the northwest has the same arched design, and contains the lemon-house, cellars and hay barn.
The interior layout of the master house is unusual however: the entrance hall leads to the side to a row of rooms, while to the northeast a crossways corridor leads to the marble staircase up to the piano nobile. All the interiors are embellished with refined stuccowork dated 1932 and Venetian terrazzo floors.
During the First World War the villa was the headquarters of the supreme Austrian aviation command, and during the Second World War welcomed the evacuees. Two illustrious personalities stayed there in the past: Vittorio Emanuele II and Charles I of Hapsburg.
Open to the public
Barchessa and annexes
Notes : only by appointment
ADDRESS : Via Morosini 16, Colle Umberto (TV)
for informations CONTACT the : 0438 76101 ; 340 2362061
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org