Porta San Tomaso

The most majestic and elegant gate in Treviso was built in only ten months in the year 1518 by the “Podestà” (High Official) Paolo Nani. He wanted to name the gate Porta Nana but the Venetian senate ordered him to dedicate the gate to Saint Thomas of Canterbury.Instead, Nani erected a statue of Saint Paul on top of the gate because they shared the same name (Paolo).On the main arch on the outside wall, there’s a phrase written in the Veneto dialect. On the opposite side of the arch, towards the inside of the city, the same phrase is translated into Latin to emphasize the cultural differences between the countryside and the aristocracy living in the centre of Treviso.