The villa stands just outside the centre of Castelfranco Veneto, in the province of Treviso, in the village of Sant’Andrea oltre Muson. Originally the estate was closed in by a frescoed boundary wall, of which just the east side can still be seen today, and contained the villa, adjacent courtyard and garden, which were designed to hold theatrical and musical events. In the following periods, the west wall was demolished to build a two-storey wing joined to the house by an arcade on the ground floor, a noble chapel, various outhouses and a long, narrow barchessa that was used as a store. Originally the entrance was through the garden, as is shown by the two remaining columns of the gate, but today it is reached through the arcade on the northwest side of the house. The complex was built in 1578 and until recently it was believed that the Corner family commissioned it, but recent research has proved it to have been the Soranzo family.

The villa is a simple three-storey building; the basement with cellars, the piano nobile and the attic with the hayloft. To the south the main façade has a classic composition. A central open loggia with three arches is placed at the top of a flight of steps flanked by 18th century statues, probably of a member of the Bonazza family of sculptors. The façade is embellished with the smooth band of the slightly jutting stringcourse and a denticulated cornice to crown it. However the most scenographic feature of this side is the fresco decoration: an ochre background of fake ashlar work with large fluted Corinthian columns that divide the façade, four small Ionic columns on pedestals that mark the three openings in the loggia, classic busts above the stringcourse and the precious noble coat of arms in the centre near to the cornice.

Internally the layout is typical of Venetian villas: the large central passing hall and four side rooms, with the stairway fitted between the two rooms to the west. The frescoes inside were painted around 1580 by the Veronese school, in particular by Benedetto Caliari. They are typical decorations of Veneto villas: scenes of figures and landscapes, open illusions between a weave of fake buildings with typical renaissance style: mythological, biblical and classic themes, figures, landscapes and allegorical paintings. Today the villa is used for banquets and conventions, and the outbuildings house the Museums of Peasant Civilisation and Tanning Art. There are various archaeological finds and sculptures in the grounds 



Visiting the Villa and its Park

Individual visitors and Groups

From April to October 3.00-6.00 pm Booking Required

Visiting the Collections

Farming and Tanning Museum

Individual Visitors and Groups

From April to October 3.00-6.00 Booking Required

Entrance Tickets: € 5,00

Architectural Barriers

Party Inaccessible

Restaurant Service

Upon request, max. 200 seats



ADDRESS : Via Lama 1 , Sant’Andrea di Castelfranco Veneto (TV)

To information CONTACT the :Tel. 0423 482072 ; Cell. 347 4930640

e-mail :

web-site :




To leave your review to Villa Chiminelli, click here



12 + 12 =